Sunday, April 11, 2010

We've got Worms!


Red Wigglers to be more precise...a more desirable worm to have on the property, not internally! We picked them up yesterday and moved them into their new habitat, a Vermihut Worm Bin. The Worm Hut has a small footprint, 16" x 16" and fits nicely on the open air laundry porch off the kitchen. My plan is that the worms will take care of most day to day kitchen veggie scraps and in return give us worm castings for our garden. I don't know that I'd call them "pets" but...they're another addition to Rosewood Acres! More on this project as it progresses! So far, this project has the least physical labor involved and only a moderate price tag. We're in about $100 worth so far. I hunted until I found a reasonably priced worm hut...this one was $75 including shipping, and my worms were $25 at the ranch. Time invested...Let's see...assembly took maybe 15 minutes, would have taken less if I'd looked at the materials! It took maybe 5 minutes to assemble paper and bedding materials, half an hour to drive out to the ranch and back, and 10 seconds to pour out the worms. Gotta love something so physically taxing!

No comments:

Post a Comment