Saturday, October 2, 2010

Christmas Frog?


S-He's actually more red than the photo is showing. It likes to sit on my Debbie Mumm tea pot-cup set...that's where I find it coming from. I don't know if it has chameleonic qualities, or if this is its natural coloration. There is certainly one, very likely two, rather likely three different little frogs that either live in my kitchen, or visit me regularly. I finally figured out why I'm so popular, and then realized they're actually a big help to me while being very little trouble. Actually virtually no trouble. Aside from the occasional movement you might see out of the corner of your eye, but anyone who has lived in a 70+ year old house, out in the country in northern California for any length of time has given up being startled by things like that a long time ago. You just make a mental note to take care of the newest guests.

We've had a bumper crop of tomatoes coming in from the garden, so we've had very ripe fruit around the house all the time this summer. With very ripe fruit comes...FRUIT FLIES!!! Argh!! I didn't want to destroy the flavor of the tomatoes by refrigerating them, so they've been in the kitchen with the AC on power-saver. The little frogs have been hanging out in the bowls of tomatoes where there are plenty of tiny fruit flies for them to snack on. So a potentially icky situation has turned into a symbiotic relationship that benefits us both! Now...with Fall coming on...I'll be ushering them out to the garden so they can find their natural "over winter" habitat.

Darn little critters grow on you after awhile....

3 comments:

  1. What a cute little guy!

    Guess what? My mom person & I have created a new blog at www.PetBlogsUnited.com.

    We'd love it if you would come over and check it out & become a member. It's a great new place for pet bloggers to find each other, and get an opportunity to be a featured blog!

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frogs in your kitchen? You are my kind of human!

    ReplyDelete