Sunday, June 27, 2010

One Step Closer to Coming Home

We got a very nice surprise on Sunday morning when we went out to visit "Olive"... Even though we haven't heard anything about our adoption yet, Tawnee and Larry discussed that we pretty much show that we care for our gal, as we keep driving way the heck out there every time we can! It is a bit off the beaten track, I admit...! It was all I could do to contain my excitement and not have us both jumping all over the pen! LOL!!

In the meanwhile, fly season has hit. I took some repellent out with me today. After we had a good brushing...right into my face...how does that work? *grin* Thanks Mom Nature! Anyway...After a good brushing, we rubbed down with the fly spray, face, chest, legs, back, tummy, flanks and rump. Whew. The only part that made her uncomfortable at all was touching her ears. Otherwise she was a perfect lady. It helped...not a whole lot it seemed. By the time I'd finished with her session, she seemed to have almost as many flies on her again. Maybe they won't stick around long enough to bite though...

So, it's time to finish what we have started. We found the last of our fence posts last night, and bought them! I think that's the last of the materials, except for 2 livestock panels. The panels are insurance...I'll feel better if we have them. None of the rest of the fencing makes me nervous yet, but the last little bit does. Then, I want to buy a panel a month for awhile, two if I can swing it.

So, we're incredibly excited! We're getting the last few things all put together for her, and on Wednesday they'll come by and do a site check...and then she'll be home! I still can hardly believe it's all happening!

For me, this is like a dream come true in all the right ways this time! "Olive" is the right age...she's not a "foolish filly" full of tricks and silliness, nor is she a "moody mare." I'm sure she has her moody moments though, don't we all? We "mature" ladies have a certain "seasoned" quality about us! LOL! We don't get overly excited by the antics of the youngsters. We know children will be children!


I love the way she feels with me...I love the way I feel with her! Even though I'm a little insecure, I feel her responding to me the way she should, the way I want her to, and I'm encouraged.

Today she played a little game with me. There's a little narrow V in the back of her pen, where she can put her nose and give me her rump. Little stinker...she did just that! This is what's going through her mind...Do you deserve my respect? I'm telling you that you don't exactly have it yet. You have to work up to that. It all depends on what you do next what happens next... It's kind of like a chess game! My next move is to continue to talk to her so she knows I'm still there, and to crowd her space by walking up near her rump, but not behind her. If she turns her head slightly to the right she can see me. Now she's thinking...Ok, not bad. You're crowding my space some, but you aren't disrespecting me. I'll get out of this tight space because I've trapped myself, and I don't want to hurt you or myself while I think about this. Continuing our semi-one-sided conversation, I walk on up to her fairly slowly, with my hand out for her. When I touch her shoulder, she moves off a step, but when I put my hand on her neck she yielded for the lead rope. Poor baby...she had to leave breakfast behind. I didn't keep her too long. 45 minutes maybe...long enough to brush her out, comb her mane (oh, am I qualified!), add some fly wipe, size her for a bit and take a pretty walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment