Monday, February 28, 2011

Buff Orpingtons Join the Family

Today, we added 7 baby Buff Orpington chicks to the family. They're 3 weeks old, so have their wing feathers, and straight run...so we'll see how my odds work this time. I tend to end up with more roos than hens. Not to worry though... We found a new feed store in Chico! I love the place!

C Bar D Feed in Chico is our new spot to find chicks! They had QUITE a selection! They had two different deliveries of Buff Orpintons...some Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and Browns...and more to come. They were in the most incredible greenhouse type tent to keep them nice and warm. What a place! They also had some Mille Fleur...cute as can be...but I'll pass.

This all seems to be good timing... We seem to be missing a couple of chickens out of the blue. One of the Cuckoo Marans is missing and so is the little white bantam rooster with feathery feet. The hen is still here...but we can't find the other two. The Marans have survived many, many months taking care of themselves...so the jury is still out. I'm not so sure about the rooster. He's been the hold out until he gets all the girls in at night...he may still show up with the hen in tow. We'll see...

The babies are in a rubbermaid tote in the living room with a wire top. We've had the joy in the past, and we need to introduce the house kitties to chickens...baby chickens! Half Pint is very interested...probably wants to play...I think not. Pita...well...she wants in the house so badly, I bet she'll leave them be. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. They're precious! May they all be girls, save one!

No comments:

Post a Comment