Sunday, July 25, 2010

Settling In...

Willow has been with us almost 10 days now. She's really settling in quite nicely. She dropped quite a bit of weight in the first few days, but we chalk that up to her pacing a lot and me not feeding her quite as much as she was apparently used to. We seem to be up on it now. She's leaving some hay behind after feeding.

I'm amazed at how gentle she's become with me. At first she was so timid... I remember her reacting fearfully when I first brought just a brush out to her. Now, as long as I'm not spraying her with water, she doesn't much care what I do as long as I show it to her first.

It's summer, so we're fighting the fly battle. Willow wears a full-coverage fly mask during the day. That took a little getting used to. The velcro makes that nasty tearing sound when it comes apart. She's not as bothered by it now as she was the first couple of days. Willow stands still while I put it on and she appreciates that it comes off at night. I'm sure it's kind of hot and stuffy to have on all day. It's better than having flies in her eyes all day though. Willow tolerates being treated with fly repellent throughout the day well too. She's so good while I rub her legs down and her tummy. Even those touchy spots.

With all the space she has, Willow prefers to hang out close to the house. She's usually in sight of the living room window, or over in the shade beneath the trees along the stream. I knew that was going to be a good spot! Willow prefers to drink from the stream now. She rarely touches her water bucket. She's a sight with her big ol' lips dibbling water... Willow also has a fondness for fruit. Apples, of course, but grapes and even watermelon...

That piece was gone in mere moments...rind and all. She didn't hesitate. She prefers grapes though.

And just so you don't think that ALL the news is about Willow...look what I found in the laundry sink this morning...


The next time I looked there was a cute little calico in there too... I guess Mama decided they weren't safe wherever she had them...so she brought them inside. I wondered why she was being such a protective witch this morning! She was taking all the other cats to task! Even the little ones! Those little ones are teasing Fate playing under Willow's feet...it's amazing that she knows they're there...and even when she's stomping her feet to get rid of flies, she takes care not to put her feet down hard, lest she hurt a kitten. The only way one would get hurt is if she spooked when one was beneath her. Animals are so amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment