Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Willow is Home at Last!

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to post! I thought surely I'd already done this! Willow is home...she arrived Friday morning, July 16th. Tawnee walked her around the pen, put me to work on some paper work, then changed off her halter and turned her loose to graze. Willow was a bit skittish the first 24 hours, but not terribly so. She needed time to get used to the sounds and smells of her new digs, the dogs needed time to get used to seeing her here...poor Jasmine just can't quite get used to that BIG dog! LOL! Not that she gets to get anywhere NEAR Willow... With that herding instinct, I don't think putting the two of them in the same space is such a great idea. Somewhere along the line perhaps...just not yet.

Of course, we have to get used to having a horse visible from the living room window as well! There's been a couple of times both of us have had quite a start at some thing big and red moving around out there too! She tends to hang out about 50 feet from the steps to the front porch, where we can see her easily. I don't know if that's because she can hear the household noises and knows we're near, or just what.

I know she's been really well behaved though. We're taking everything nice and easy this week. It's been hot...no one wants to work too hard when it's so hot. We go through general remembering our manners stuff...walking on lead, taking her fly mask off and putting it on...feeding...grooming...the next big one will be a bath. I need to read my resource material. I don't know that I've ever bathed a horse before...this ought to be fun! She's been so good about most things so far...she loves being brushed out, so getting a good scrubbing might feel pretty good too.

It's been almost a week...I'm getting kind of anxious to get on her back and see how she rides. I need a little more equipment first. LOL! I suppose I could climb on her back with no bridle or reins...we couldn't go very far! LOL! Who knows what kind of mischief we'll get into with one another! If she's really a mellow gal, she may not need much here at home. I do know I'm going to need a mounting block. I'm just too dang short! That's all there is to it! Heck, I need a step ladder just to bathe her!

1 comment:

  1. She is beautiful! Congratulations! She is lucky to have found such a loving home!

    ReplyDelete